Still reading John Green’s brilliant book, “Looking for Alaska”. I’m right in the middle of a ‘regrets’ point in the book, so I came up with this list.
In no particular order here are 5 things I regret from High School…
1. I never asked Missy, Rene or Becky out. Not that they would’ve said, “yes” and I’m very happily married to the only woman on earth with the endurance required to live with me, it would just make looking back at the old days seem less cowardly if I would’ve asked.
2. I didn’t get to show my movie in Government/Economics class because my film was not compatible with the projector. My report was on “Pornography in America”. I had the movie, the lights were off but the projector refused to run that size of film. It would not have been my proudest moral moment but it would have been epic, the stuff of legends.
3. I made fun of people. Somewhere early on in school we just decided there were some people we would all make fun of and I was so relieved it wasn’t me that I went along with it. Looking back it’s like tadpoles making fun of another tadpole because his tail is short or fat or bends funny. You just want to go back in time and yell, “We’re all freakin’ frogs here people!”
4. I let other people define who I was. What was I thinking? I once was excited about the idea of our family moving in my teens so I would get to start over. Of course, even at the new school they would smell ‘nerd’ on me…
5. I didn’t steal the vinyl record of songs from middle-earth that included J.R.R. Tolkien actually reading an elvish song from LOTR. I’m sure it got sold in some school yard sale in ’86 for .25 cents and now Comic Book Guy has it sealed in plastic in his mom’s basement. I know, I know, I’m a nerd. This may have led to #1 above.
What’s on your list? Any regrets you’d like to share?