Doing some thinking lately. So far on my holidays I’ve been doing chores and that gives me a lot of thinking time. This is potentially dangerous to all mankind.
During the 5 month gap between getting my final credits and the graduation ceremonies at the college I attended I worked at a machine shop. It was a lathe that was run by a computer and all day long it was push button, put hunk of metal in, push button, watch lathe run, push button, take finished piece of future air to air missile out, rinse, repeat. Most of the thoughts crowding my brain today I still blame on that 5 months in the shop.
Here’s my list from the last 3 days…
1. Wrestling with my kids.
2. The simplicity and freedom of an abject lack of possessions.
3. Lightning bugs dancing through the humid air of a summer night at dusk.
4. The nitrogen rich smell of Illinois cornfields separated by sticky tar covered roads.
5. People whose stories I should have paid more attention to.
6. The days when a week of summer vacation felt like it took a whole month to go by.
7. Long, aimless walks in the woods.
8. A lack of the awareness of my own mortality.
9. Bedtime stories and good night prayers.
10. Playing on mountains of dirt around the foundations of soon to be constructed homes.
What are you missing and where did you leave it?